We launched Mindoula because each of us has had personal experience with mental illness, either directly or through a loved one. We realized that the behavioral health system was broken and decided to take it upon ourselves to fix it by focusing on the people we serve, not their diagnoses or symptom sets. Each of us, and everyone we serve, is a person first and a set of challenges second.
Through Mindoula's corporate affiliate, CareMind Health, we provide psychiatry and related services to multiple community hospitals. We are transforming the practice of psychiatry by combining the systems-based and holistic framework of our clinical practice with our innovative approach to designing, implementing, and managing psychiatry services in a variety of treatment settings for a range of populations requiring psychiatric care.
This role will serve as the Medical Director of Behavioral Health for patients during their treatment at the facility. Board certification in psychiatry, and experience with inpatient psychiatry, consult liaison services, and quality improvement initiatives are required. Leadership experience or a strong interest in leadership development and comfort in being a prominent member of the medical staff is required.
Southern Maryland Hospital Center (SMHC), Clinton, Maryland
- Owned / Operated by Medstar
- Inpatient: 24-bed, Adult Unit
- Partial Hospital Program (PHP): Yes, 12-slots, Adult-only Unit
- Involuntary population: Yes
- Consult Service: Yes, Medical Floor and ED
- EMR: Cerner
Supervisory Responsibility: Yes, attending Psychiatrists and Allied Health Professionals at the facility.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work: Full-Time, typically 8 am to 5 pm, Monday through Friday, for in-person psychiatry services work, as well as on-call work.
Education / Training / Previous Experience Desired: 3+ years of Inpatient Psychiatry experience, prior leadership experience preferred but not required, must be Board-Certified in psychiatry.
Benefits: Medical, Dental, Vision, 401k with match, Life, AD&D, and more are available to all full-time employees.
Duties when providing Inpatient Services:
- Maintain availability to the facility's Emergency Department throughout the scheduled shift.
- Return phone calls from the hospital within 30 minutes.
- Place orders and perform medication reconciliation on all patients within 1 hour of admission.
- Perform initial assessments of patients admitted, round in-person on all inpatients for each of the weekend days, and perform all consultation requests to ER, PHP, and medical floors.
- Design individualized care plans, using a variety of treatments.
- Prescribe, direct, or administer psychotherapeutic treatments or medications to treat mental, emotional, or behavioral disorders.
- Gather and maintain patient information and records, including social or medical history obtained from patients, relatives, or other professionals.
- Collaborate with physicians, psychologists, social workers, psychiatric nurses, or other professionals to discuss treatment plans and progress.
- Analyze and evaluate patient data or test findings to diagnose the nature or extent of mental disorder.
- Document patient information including session notes, progress notes, recommendations, and treatment plans, completing all clinical notes and medical records in EMR in a timely manner upon completion of services.
- Assess patients for risk of suicide attempts.
- Submit Charges to the Billing Department within 24 hours.
- Provide coverage for absences of colleagues as clinically appropriate.
- Fill out and maintain client-related paperwork, including federal- and state-mandated forms, client diagnostic records, and progress notes.
- Work collaboratively with psychiatrists, administrative staff, and other parties in coordinating optimum care for patients.
- Maintain professional cell phone and email accounts for contact during scheduled work hours;
- Other duties as reasonably assigned.
Medical Director Responsibilities:
- Perform leadership duties of Medical Director and Chair of the Department of Psychiatry, including assisting with all quality and performance initiatives in support of the integrity of the Behavioral Health unit and representing Psychiatry at all hospital meetings.
- Ensure all CareMind psychiatry providers work to meet the required volume and quality expectations of the partner hospital.
- Serve as the point person for psychiatric topics, both clinical and administrative.
- Oversee the recruitment, orientation, onboarding, and functioning of a competent group of providers.
- Behavioral Health Services program development.
- Available for clinical escalation during emergencies.
- Attend meetings as a representative of the psychiatry service line as the Medical Director of the BHU and Chair of Psychiatry, including the hospital's Medical Executive Committee if invited, and the Behavioral Health Council.