Certified Medical Assistant (Part-Time)
SOME (So Others Might Eat) exists to help homeless and poor individuals and families of Washington, DC. Our more than 30 programs throughout the District provide comprehensive services that lead to mental and physical health, continued sobriety, job training, living-wage employment, and affordable housing. We meet immediate needs with food, clothing, and healthcare and offer the tools one needs to live with hope, dignity, and greater independence.
SOME Inc. is seeking a Medical Assistant to support our medical clinic located in NW Washington, DC.
Position Overview: The Medical Assistant supports the operations of the clinical staff and medical office. The Medical Assistant will also provide clinical care to patients and will assist physicians and nurses with daily duties.
Schedule: Monday - Thursday 10:00am - 2:00pm (16 hours/week)
Required: HS Diploma/GED; 2 years of healthcare experience in a Primary Care, Acute Care, or Ambulatory Clinic
Required License/Certification: CPR/First Aid; Medical Assistant Certification.
* Patient care skills
* Knowledge of electronic health records usage and management
* Knowledge of clinical care and medical terminology
* Good listening skills to identify patient needs and direct accordingly
* Customer service skills to work with patients
* Problem-solving and critical-thinking skills
* Ability to work in a team environment
* Ability to remain calm in crisis situations
* Ability to communicate with diverse audiences
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills
* Flexibility with the ability to multi-task despite competing priorities
* Proficient with MS Office, including Word, Excel, and Outlook
* Take and record the vital signs of patients
* Perform Phlebotomy functions
* Assist nurses and doctors with procedures
* Perform Patient Eye exam
* Dispose of any biohazard materials and clean clinical areas
* Discharge patients per Physician's order and perform discharge education
Clinical Care: Take and record the vital signs of patients. Perform phlebotomy functions. Administer injections and vaccines per Physician's order. Discharge patients per Physician order and perform discharge education. Perform basic patient care procedures within the scope of practice. Respond to patient inquiries and assist nurses and doctors with procedures.
Administrative: Assist with answering phones. Fill out medical forms, as needed. Order and maintain vaccines and medications. Order and stock medical supplies. Perform daily log entries and medical records documentation.
Reports to: Clinic Nurse Supervisor
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
To Apply: Go to our career page at