MLT or MT
Texas Oncology's Covid 19 vaccine policy requires all new hires to be vaccinated or obtain an approved exemption before their start date. More information will be provided to you during the interview process.
Texas Oncology is looking for a Medical Laboratory Technician to join our team! This position will support the Arlington location. Hours are 8:30a - 5:00p or 8:00a - 4:30a. Depending on which office and department. This is a float position between North Arlington, South Arlington, and Mansfield.
This position can be hired as a level 1, 2 or Sr based on relative candidate experience.
Texas Oncology is the largest community oncology provider in the country and has approximately 600+ providers in 220+ sites across Texas and southeastern Oklahoma. Our founders pioneered community-based cancer care because they believed in making the best available cancer care accessible to all communities, allowing people to fight cancer at home with the critical support of family and friends nearby. Our mission is still the same today-at Texas Oncology, we use leading-edge technology and research to deliver high-quality, high-touch, evidence-based cancer care to help our patients achieve "More breakthroughs. More victories." ® in their fight against cancer. Today, Texas Oncology treats half of all Texans diagnosed with cancer on an annual basis.
Why work for us?
Come join our team that is responsible for helping lead Texas Oncology in treating more patient diagnosed with cancer than any other provider in Texas. We offer our employees a competitive benefits package that includes Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, Short-term and Long-term disability coverage, a generous PTO program, a 401k plan that comes with a company match, a Wellness program that rewards you practicing a healthy lifestyle, and lots of other great perks such as Tuition Reimbursement, an Employee Assistance program and discounts on some of your favorite retailers.
What does MLT position do? (including but not limited to)
The Medical Lab Technician Is responsible for accurately performing specimen analysis, instrument maintenance, and quality control procedures including moderate and high complexity laboratory tests. Initiates and follows quality assurance and safety policies and procedures. Performs specimen collection and assists with patient flow as needed. Supports and adheres to the US Oncology Compliance Program, to include the Code of Ethics and Business Standards.
The essential duties and responsibilities (including but not limited to)
* Assists with performing phlebotomy and collecting appropriate specimens from patients as ordered. Assures pre-authorization and completes appropriate consent forms (ABN) prior to collection of limited coverage tests.
* Assists with special procedures as needed (i.e. bone marrows in the room).
* Follows the laboratory*s procedures for specimen handling and processing, test analyses, reporting, and maintaining records of patient results. Sends specimens to reference laboratories for any testing not performed in house. Processes incoming orders for lab testing including reference laboratory specimens.
* Performs specimen analysis of all Chemistry, Hematology and Immunology specimens.
* Maintains and operates all laboratory equipment. Performs daily, weekly and monthly instrument maintenance as indicated.
* Adheres to the laboratory*s quality control policies and documents all QC activities, instrument and procedural calibrations, and instrument maintenance. Records proper lot numbers of all controls, calibrators and reagents.
* Participates in proficiency testing by performing sample analysis and reporting results at least once a year.
* Prepares peripheral blood smear and performs complete WBC differential.
* Performs microscopic examination of urinary sediment
* Records results on appropriate worksheet and computer system and performs file maintenance. Processes specimens for send-out testing.
* Follows the laboratory*s policies whenever test systems are not within the laboratory*s established acceptable levels of performance. Identifies problems that may adversely affect test performance or reporting of test results and either corrects the problem or notifies supervisor. Documents all corrective actions taken when test systems deviate from the laboratory*s established performance specifications.
* Maintains proper documentation as described by the quality assurance program including accessioning logs, test report logs, quality control logs, equipment records and checklists. Verifies all critical results and documents with accurate follow-up.
* Maintains adequate inventory of supplies and ensures that all supplies are viable before using in patient testing. Prepares reagents, stains and other chemical solutions as needed. Restocks the laboratory area as needed.
* Processes in-house and in-coming results for charting.
* Charts patient results in a timely manner as needed.
* Properly identify and band patients for blood product transfusion. Processes properly labeled specimens according to local bloodbank policy.
* Adheres to all OSHA compliance laws and Universal Precaution procedures.
* Complies with applicable regulatory agency standards.
* Properly disposes of hazardous materials.
* Maintains a clean working environment.
* Maintains confidentially of all information related to patients and medical staff.
* Performs CLIA classified Waived and Moderately complexity testing.
* May be under the supervision of a Medical Technologist (MT)/Medical Laboratory Scientist (MLS)
* Associates degree in medical technology or laboratory science or related science field.
* Current state license if required.
* AMT, ASCP or equivalent certification preferred but not required.
* Position is entry level and requires no experience.
Level 2 (in addition to Level 1 qualifications)
* Position requires three years of experience.
Level Sr (in addition to level 1 and 2 qualifications)
* Position requires five years of experience.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Physical demands of this job typically require full range of body motion including manual and finger dexterity and eye-hand coordination in operation and manipulation of complex laboratory equipment. Requires sitting/standing for extensive periods of time with the use hands to finger, handle, or feel and arms to reach or carry. Occasionally lifts and carries items weighing up to 40 lbs. Requires corrected vision, color perception and hearing to normal range. Requires legible handwriting.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Work is performed in an office environment and requires significant interaction with management, staff and external auditors and clients. Work will require frequent travel by air or automobile, approximately 70% of workweek, on average.