Medical Assistant - Urgent Care - PRN - (KUMW, Creekwood, Grand, Medical Pavilion)
Creekwood Family Care, Grand Blvd Health Care, KU MedWest, Medical Pavilion
COVID-19 and flu vaccines are required for all health system employees. Learn more.
Position Summary / Career Interest:
The Medical Assistant is responsible for ensuring efficient flow of patients through the health care setting by facilitating examination and treatment of patients in a culturally sensitive manner with exceptional customer service; contributes to patient care by preparing patient for visit, performing limited procedures, scheduling diagnostic test or consults, maintaining patient records, organizing clinic/exam rooms, maintaining supply/equipment inventory, and/or assisting physicians, other medical staff, nurses, other interdisciplinary team members and support staff.
- Accurately schedules tests; obtains films and reports; and prepares laboratory specimens according to policy.
- Assists physicians and/or nurses with special procedures and examinations as defined on competency checklist.
- Collaborates with members of the health care team in coordinating and implementing plans for patient care; may record elements of the patient history for clinical staff review.
- Electronically submits, calls and/or faxes in prescriptions and refills to outpatient pharmacies
- Ensures data collected for completed procedures is recorded on appropriate forms and in medical records
- Maintains medical records; ensures all required documentation is available in the medical record; distributes reports and correspondence; files, photocopies and processes forms related to medical charts.
- Maintains orderliness and cleanliness of examination rooms; stocks assigned areas and ensures par levels of supplies are maintained; checks and completes required logs and equipment such as refrigerator logs, eyewash logs, emergency/crash carts, suction and other required checks.
- Performs clerical duties such as greeting patients; registration; scheduling; pre-certification of tests, procedures and medications; processing insurance forms; preparing financial records; answering phones; and entering ambulatory care charges.
- Performs simple procedures as directed by the nurse or physician and as defined on the competency checklist.
- Performs vital signs, height, weight, and screening procedures and documents in medical record
- Must be able to perform the professional, clinical and or technical competencies of the assigned unit or department.
- Note: These statements are intended to describe the essential functions of the job and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities. Skills and duties may vary dependent upon your department or unit. Other duties may be assigned as required.
- High School Diploma/GED
- Graduate of an accredited Medical Assistant Program OR
- at least one year of Medical Assisting in an ambulatory/outpatient setting OR
- Certification as a CCMA or NCRMA
- BLS Certification
- Basic typing and word processing
Job Requisition ID:
We are an equal employment opportunity employer without regard to a person's race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and sexual orientation), national origin, ancestry, age (40 or older), disability, veteran status or genetic information.
Need help finding the right job?
We can recommend jobs specifically for you! Create a custom Job Alert by selecting criteria that suit your career interests.